Code of Conduct
In line with the editorial policy of the Jordanian Media Credibility Monitor (AKEED); and to ensure independence, fairness, accuracy, and lack of conflict of interest, this code of conduct has been drafted for the staff of the Monitor. The staff members of the Monitor are aware that they are responsible for professional mistakes and misconduct. This means that violating laws, regulations, rules of professional work, ethics of scientific research and journalistic work, and values of accountability could make them liable to disciplinary and legal accountability.
- The staff shall consider public interest to be the first and foremost aim when making decisions related to their tasks of monitoring and analysis. They shall use their resources and dedicate their experiences to their work in the best manner possible to achieve this interest.
- The public interest that the Monitor seeks to achieve is represented in safeguarding the right of Jordanian society to knowledge, away from deception, distortion, withholding information, or restriction, and while contributing toward improving the performance of Jordanian media outlets.
- The staff of AKEED shall be committed to applying accurate scientific standards, which are published on the official site of the Monitor, to the studies, research, and monitoring that they produce.
- Upon performing their duties, the staff shall steer clear of personal interests and commit to the principles of integrity, objectivity, accountability, transparency, honesty, and credibility. They shall also observe neutrality. In particular, they shall consider the editorial policy of the AKEED site to be an integral part of the general principles and binding rules of conduct.
- The staff of AKEED shall be committed to maintaining the same distance from all media outlets and not being biased, negatively or positively, toward them.
- The staff of AKEED shall seek to create a positive atmosphere and build bridges of communication with the various media based on confidence-building and common cooperation on clear foundations of transparency and impartiality.
- The staff of AKEED shall commit to highlighting the flaws in some media practices, in terms of shortcomings or professional failure. At the same time, they shall be required to highlight positive professional examples that promote the values and foundations of professionalism and serious journalistic practice.
- The staff of AKEED shall assume good faith on the part of journalists and media outlets and they shall not use professional gaps to question their integrity, underestimate the achievements of establishments and individuals, or tarnish their reputation.
- The staff of AKEED shall abide by editorial policies. In the event of modifying, rejecting or changing any material, the original material shall not be published by any means.
- The staff of AKEED shall follow a scientific methodology and the declared standards of verification and monitoring of professional performance, which the staff of AKEED shall use in their observation of the performance of the media.
- The staff of AKEED shall be committed to not achieving personal interests through their verification and monitoring of media outlets.
- Upon preparing reports for the Monitor, the staff of AKEED shall judge the journalistic product, and not its author or the media outlet that produced it. Therefore, these judgments shall be confined to the press material and shall not exceed it to the persons or legal entities behind it.
- The staff of AKEED shall be committed to acknowledging and correcting mistakes and to apologizing to the public or the media outlet upon its occurrence.
- The staff of AKEED shall be committed to providing room for those harmed by the reports of the Monitor to reply, and to publishing these replies on the electronic site of the Monitor.
- The staff of AKEED shall be committed to not confusing their partisan and political positions with professional work in the material that they produce and publish on the Monitor and its website.
- The staff of AKEED shall be committed to not using any information that becomes available to them through their work before it is made public to make any material gains or use it as press material or publish it in any manner.
- The staff of AKEED shall be committed to not being influenced by personal inclinations and whims when addressing any phenomenon or media issue, whether by study or monitoring. The staff of AKEED shall be eager to strengthen the confidence of the public in all the services they provide. They shall strengthen the confidence of the public that editorial decisions are not affected by affiliations and personal, commercial, political, religious, and social interests.
- When expressing their political, partisan, or religious views through their personal blogs or through what they publish in the newspapers and other means of expression, the staff of AKEED shall be committed to expressing these views in line with the editorial policies and methodology of the AKEED website.
- The staff of AKEED shall be committed to not engaging in sharp controversial issues in the media to protect their professional neutrality.
- The staff of AKEED shall be committed to the principle, and they shall acknowledge, that the material that they produce is owned by AKEED and the Jordan Media Institute and that the material, which is delivered during official working hours--even if it is not published or cleared for publication--shall be the ownership of the Monitor and the Institute and that re-using it on social media pages or on sites or allowing its publication in whatever way shall be deemed a legal violation and breach of the code of conduct.